Thursday, April 14, 2011

Surviving as a veggie in Singapore

Its nearing the 2nd weekend of my internship-and yet I see no convenient solution in sight to the food issue. As I blogged in some of my earlier posts, the veggie food options are few in the area I stay. I can choose between, and there is very little variety/customization as one is used to in India. Still, I must have put on 1-2 kilos since coming here, and the reasons are outlined below

  1. They have a 'kaya toast' with ordinary toast but a yummy stuffing which melts in your mouth and tastes heavenly. $2-3 worth of toast will fill your stomach
  2. Funnily, a flavoured milk brand(Dutch Lady) costs less than ordinary milk! So I slurp up 0.5-1Ltr a day, all on the pretext of calcium intake
  3. On office days, there are many food plazas and restaurants nearby so there is no problem in eating. The real issue is on weekends where the only Indian restaurent nearby does not do home delivery, and the ones in Little India take upto 2 hours. So using ready to eat/cooking at home seem the only options
  4. While I felt(in India) that processed food was a rip off, I thank MTR, Kohinoor etc for the abundant options in the frozen segment. Whether it be roti, paratha, naan, dal, bhaji, paneer, pulav, puranpoli etc, virtually everything is available in ready to eat, at a quality comparable to hotels, and at an unsurpassed convenience. Try ordering food at 10pm in the night, and you will get what I mean
  5. Breakfast is not an issue with eggs, bread, cornflakes, milk, flavoured milk and fruits all on the table
  6. Fruit stalls are few but the selection of fruits is good in them AND at the local Fair Price super market. And thank to South East Asia, there are some exotic fruits like durians etc which I intend to sample over the coming weeks.
  7. Luckily, I am not finicky about eating in places where non veg is served/present in proximity else it would not be possible to eat in most places!! For those who like non veg, Singapore has all kinds of exotic cusines and dining out would be a pleasure
  8. As in other aspects of Singapore life, processed bakery goods are much cheaper and better than those served in shops/stalls. I had yummy bread buns, cream rolls, cakes etc for a reasonable sum, as well as cold coffee from 7-11 for just $3. So buying off the shelf is both convenient and better.
It is now that I realize that even the IIM-A mess type food would have been welcome here-and that is saying a LOT! Still, it is an experience and I guess I'll come out with intact health/waistline albeit with a lighter wallet  Nothing beats home food though, which I'm looking forward to!

No comments: