Saturday, April 9, 2011

How Singapore is like mass retail banking(their way or the highway)

My first experience with Singapore rigidity was on my first day itself-when I went for breakfast. The eggs were not quite boiled right, yet when I requested(even offering an extra charge) for them to be more hardboiled, the response I received was 'no'. This response was typical in other mass market joints where the wait-staff do not offer options/take requests for menu adaptions. Even in supermarkets, fruit stalls, transport systems etc, there is no customization/flexibility. The system is geared towards producing the maximum throughput, rather than on satisfying individual demand. That is exactly how retail banking works(automated high volume non branch transactions) compared to private banking(personalized, branch based).This is a good thing when it comes to service delivery for the common man, because the private banking approach is probably more inefficient or expensive. And one of the reasons I was able to adjust so fast to Singapore is their 'plug and play' infrastructure-social and physical-geared to service ANYone.

No comments: